Thursday, 27 May 1948. All-time Italian sport key figure Gino Bartali, racing for the green colours of the Legnano team, is the first racer to cross the line laid out along our “Passeggiata”.
Spoleto is one of the cities along the eleventh stage (Fiuggi-Perugia) of the 31st Giro d’Italia. Bartali would finish third at the end of the stage, which was won in Perugia by Belgian Désiré Keteleer.
That year the Giro was won for the first time by Fiorenzo Magni, the famous “third man”, thus nicknamed for his ability to often break the dualism between Coppi and Bartali. It was a Giro full of controversy that saw Magni himself as the protagonist, penalised by two minutes on the Pordoi pass for having been pushed uphill and winning that Giro, beating Ezio Cecchi by just 11 seconds, still the smallest gap between first and second place in the history of the greatest Italian cycling competition.
Spoleto, which boasts a long cycling tradition, has often been crossed by the Giro d’Italia. Most recently, on 14 September 2019, the women’s Giro passed through the city. In 2016 it was the last time the men’s race passed through Spoleto; the last time Spoleto was chosen as the arrival and departure point for a stage was in 2007.
- The Festival Of Two Worlds’ Yearbooks from 1975 to 1979 | 11 September 2020
- The 1967 Festival Of Two Worlds’ Yearbook | 26 August 2020
- The Festival Of Two Worlds’ Yearbooks #2 | 21 August 2020
- The Festival Of Two Worlds’ Yearbooks | 19 August 2020
- 1947-48: Motorcycling in Spoleto | 14 August 2020
- When the Spoleto soccer team’s name was Virtus | 7 August 2020
- Ads and commercials in 1910 Spoleto | 24 July 2020
- The Spoleto City Museum | 17 July 2020
- Restoration works at the Teatro Caio Melisso | 10 July 2020
- Folk feasts’ posters in early XXth-century Spoleto | 3 July 2020
- “Urban VIII on his way to Rome”: or the odd story of the Spoletan Bernini | 26 June 2020
- The ex Spoleto-Norcia Railway: from the first project to its opening | 19 June 2020
- Spoleto Tourist Guidebooks #3 | 12 June 2020
- Christo’s Art at the Festival of Two Worlds | 5 June 2020
- Raffaele Canè – Pictures | 29 May 2020
- Spoleto Tourist Guidebooks #2 | 22 May 2020
- Spoleto Tourist Guidebooks | 15 May 2020
- Pietro Mascagni: the concert at the Teatro Nuovo | 8 May 2020
- The cable car Spoleto-Monteluco | 1 May 2020
- Two days of aviation in Spoleto | 24 April 2020