On 15 December 1926, the Spoleto Professional School of Arts and Crafts was founded.
The news was warmly welcomed in the city because it filled a gap and was seen as a valuable opportunity to train a new class of artists and craftsmen; an institute that, going beyond the almost exclusively didactic imprint that the evening drawing schools and the various cultural lessons entrusted to the Spoleto Academy had until then ensured, was capable of providing technical and operational knowledge in various disciplines.
In December 1926, various newspapers of the time wrote about it, such as “Il Messaggero” – which writes that the school could ‘considerably improve the industrial and commercial position of our city’ – and “L’alta Spoleto”, quick to point out that ‘the school’s aim was highly appreciable and directly concerned the conditions of the citizens and of Spoleto’.
Right from the first year, the special character of the institute, which was designed with an eye to employment opportunities, attracted many people. More than 130 students are enrolled for courses in five subjects: electromechanics, factory elements (i.e. building and construction), blacksmithing-mechanics and metallurgy, cabinetmaking and drawing for painters and decorators.
Here are some photos of the classrooms and spaces of the school, together with various works carried out by the pupils. They are all taken from the Carducci Library archives, refer to the first years of the school, and probably date to the early 1930s.
Founded within the ‘Luigi Pianciani’ Mutual Aid Society with a contribution from the Chamber of Commerce and the support of the city administration (led at the time by mayor Ferretti), the school was entrusted to Professor Francesco Beneducci, headmaster of the Spoleto Technical Institute. The first teachers were Pericle Nibbi and Giacomo Panetti.
The book “Per una Storia dell’istruzione professionale e artistica di Spoleto” (For a History of Vocational and Artistic Education in Spoleto) – curated by Antonella Mariani and published by the Association “Amici di Spoleto” in 2007 – reminds us that “the first seat of the arts and crafts school was in Palazzo Pianciani, later Palazzo Fioroni in Corso Garibaldi” and that “after WWII, in 1948 the Società Operaia took over the management of the school, which in the meantime had changed its name to Scuola d’Arte applicata all’Industria di Spoleto“. Unfortunately, in the 1950s the first problems began: the school premises were “transferred to the National Institute for the Training and Improvement of Industrial Workers (INAPLI)” and in 1965 “due to the enormous financial difficulties, the dilapidated equipment and the impossibility of teaching, the general assembly of the Società Operaia decided to transfer the school to the National Institute for Education and Training in the Craft Sector (INIASA). The school ceased its activity in 1969.
- December 1897: the Teatro Caio Melisso hosts the “Cinematograph” | 29 January 2021
- July 1904: first public phone booth in Spoleto | 15 January 2021
- Roman relics in the gardens of Spoleto | 8 January 2021
- Olive oil exhibition in 1930 | 18 December 2020
- The Town Hall in 1913 | 4 December 2020
- 1865: The third leg of the works on the Traversa Interna begins | 27 November 2020
- The birth of the Cotton Mill | 20 November 2020
- Racewalkers at the Giro della Rocca prepare themselves for the London Olympic Games: June, 1948 | 13 November 2020
- Teatro Nuovo: 10-11 September 1864 | 6 November 2020
- Images, August 1948. Teatro Nuovo, Spoleto, second edition of the competition for young opera singers | 30 October 2020
- The 1948 Mille Miglia in Spoleto. That time when Tazio Nuvolari… | 16 October 2020
- Beniamino Gigli in Spoleto in September, 1932 and August,1939 | 9 October 2020
- The Casina dell’Ippocastano | 2 October 2020
- Catalogue of public posters as documents of city chronicles | 25 September 2020
- 27 May 1948. When Gino Bartali crossed the finish line in Spoleto | 18 September 2020
- The Festival Of Two Worlds’ Yearbooks from 1975 to 1979 | 11 September 2020
- The 1967 Festival Of Two Worlds’ Yearbook | 26 August 2020
- The Festival Of Two Worlds’ Yearbooks #2 | 21August 2020
- The Festival Of Two Worlds’ Yearbooks | 19 August 2020
- 1947-48: Motorcycling in Spoleto | 14 August 2020
- When the Spoleto soccer team’s name was Virtus | 7 August 2020
- Ads and commercials in 1910 Spoleto | 24 July 2020
- The Spoleto City Museum | 17 July 2020
- Restoration works at the Teatro Caio Melisso | 10 July 2020
- Folk feasts’ posters in early XXth-century Spoleto | 3 July 2020
- “Urban VIII on his way to Rome”: or the odd story of the Spoletan Bernini | 26 June 2020
- The ex Spoleto-Norcia Railway: from the first project to its opening | 19 June 2020
- Spoleto Tourist Guidebooks #3 | 12 June 2020
- Christo’s Art at the Festival of Two Worlds | 5 June 2020
- Raffaele Canè – Pictures | 29 May 2020
- Spoleto Tourist Guidebooks #2 | 22 May 2020
- Spoleto Tourist Guidebooks | 15 May 2020
- Pietro Mascagni: the concert at the Teatro Nuovo | 8 May 2020
- The cable car Spoleto-Monteluco | 1 May 2020
- Two days of aviation in Spoleto | 24 April 2020