THE SPOLETO CARNIVAL
In posters from the 19th and 20th centuries, and in photos from the 1930s.
During the last week of Carnival, we sifted through the old folders of public posters kept at the Carducci library and found precious notices, screaming headlines and posters from the years between the 19th and 20th centuries. Then we went to the photo library to find some shots of the past linked to carnival celebrations in the city.
The often sarcastic tones of the public posters are striking, ranging from goliardic fluttering to polemical whining, from complaints about the tight budget that does not allow for attractions or spectacular acts worthy of the occasion, to regrets for times gone by when the city showed a very different vitality and a desire for participation and entertainment that has now faded.
Among the curiosities that stand out are the notice of the 1888 district festival in Borgo San Matteo, which recalls the new wonder of electric lighting with “a flame of the power of 1000 candles” or the “fantastic illumination” of the Torre dell’Olio district in 1889, the colourful poster for the best masquerades in Corso Garibaldi in 1902 or the huge poster for the 1908 Carnival announcing the “first prize of 100 lire in gold, with a rich banner to the best mask on a two-horse decorated float made up of at least eight people“.
The photos show the Carnival celebrations in Piazza Garibaldi with the parade of allegorical floats. It is clear that we are at the beginning of the 1930s from the type of cars and from the movie poster of a 1932 film that stands near the former Fiamma cinema.
Recognisable from many angles, Piazza Garibaldi has some unfamiliar features, especially in the views showing the old Leonina gate, the one built in the first half of the 19th century by Leone XII Della Genga, bombed and destroyed during the Second World War and then rebuilt in its present form immediately after the war.
N.B. The photos are modern reproductions of the originals produced by the Subbioni studio.
- The Vocational School of Arts and Crafts | 8 February 2021
- December 1897: the Teatro Caio Melisso hosts the “Cinematograph” | 29 January 2021
- July 1904: first public phone booth in Spoleto | 15 January 2021
- Roman relics in the gardens of Spoleto | 8 January 2021
- Olive oil exhibition in 1930 | 18 December 2020
- The Town Hall in 1913 | 4 December 2020
- 1865: The third leg of the works on the Traversa Interna begins | 27 November 2020
- The birth of the Cotton Mill | 20 November 2020
- Racewalkers at the Giro della Rocca prepare themselves for the London Olympic Games: June, 1948 | 13 November 2020
- Teatro Nuovo: 10-11 September 1864 | 6 November 2020
- Images, August 1948. Teatro Nuovo, Spoleto, second edition of the competition for young opera singers | 30 October 2020
- The 1948 Mille Miglia in Spoleto. That time when Tazio Nuvolari… | 16 October 2020
- Beniamino Gigli in Spoleto in September, 1932 and August,1939 | 9 October 2020
- The Casina dell’Ippocastano | 2 October 2020
- Catalogue of public posters as documents of city chronicles | 25 September 2020
- 27 May 1948. When Gino Bartali crossed the finish line in Spoleto | 18 September 2020
- The Festival Of Two Worlds’ Yearbooks from 1975 to 1979 | 11 September 2020
- The 1967 Festival Of Two Worlds’ Yearbook | 26 August 2020
- The Festival Of Two Worlds’ Yearbooks #2 | 21August 2020
- The Festival Of Two Worlds’ Yearbooks | 19 August 2020
- 1947-48: Motorcycling in Spoleto | 14 August 2020
- When the Spoleto soccer team’s name was Virtus | 7 August 2020
- Ads and commercials in 1910 Spoleto | 24 July 2020
- The Spoleto City Museum | 17 July 2020
- Restoration works at the Teatro Caio Melisso | 10 July 2020
- Folk feasts’ posters in early XXth-century Spoleto | 3 July 2020
- “Urban VIII on his way to Rome”: or the odd story of the Spoletan Bernini | 26 June 2020
- The ex Spoleto-Norcia Railway: from the first project to its opening | 19 June 2020
- Spoleto Tourist Guidebooks #3 | 12 June 2020
- Christo’s Art at the Festival of Two Worlds | 5 June 2020
- Raffaele Canè – Pictures | 29 May 2020
- Spoleto Tourist Guidebooks #2 | 22 May 2020
- Spoleto Tourist Guidebooks | 15 May 2020
- Pietro Mascagni: the concert at the Teatro Nuovo | 8 May 2020
- The cable car Spoleto-Monteluco | 1 May 2020
- Two days of aviation in Spoleto | 24 April 2020