Torre dell’Olio

Included in the bulk of the 16th-century Palazzo Vigili, the highest tower in town got its name from the old habit of pouring boiling oil from the top of the tower to repel the invaders. The present tower dates possibly to the XIII century, yet a similar defensive structure already existed on the spot since 217 BC, when Hannibal’s Carthaginian troops were defeated while on their way to Rome. The memory of such event gave then the name to the gate that stands right below the tower, Porta Fuga.

Indirizzo: via Porta Fuga/piazza Torre dell’Olio

Fonti bibliografiche per approfondimenti
L’Umbria, Manuali per il Territorio, Spoleto, Roma 1978
L. Di Marco, Spoletium: topografia ed urbanistica, Spoleto 1975
A. Sansi, Degli edifici e dei frammenti storici delle antiche età di Spoleto, Foligno 1869
Pin It