It was realized in the XVI century from the remains of a Roman settlement, on a commission by the Martorellis, a Spoletan noble family. The building features a main bulk, flanked by corner towers; the advent of the Locatellis led to some modifications, in sight of the staying of popes Pious VI and VII.
In 1823, the Locatellis’ possessions passed onto Francesco Marignoli and, soon after, to pope Leo XII from Spoleto. Yet in 1885 the villa was bought again by the Marignolis, who named it Redenta (Italian for “redeemed”).
The inside is decorated by XVIth century frescoes by the religious character, yet the most of the decorations date to the XVIIIth and XIXth centuries, like those in the entrance hall, where the visitor is welcomed by full-sized Napoleonic soldiers. The following room features a mosaic floor that comes straight from the Roman period. The exotic landscapes of the “Chinese Hall” are also interesting, as well as the mythological themes in the Canova Hall. Around the main building there are other secondary ones, including a chapel, the café in Rococo style, lodgings and stables. A splendid garden completes the villa, that hosts more than 900 different kinds of plants, among which a centuries-old, 19-m-tall Lebanon cedar.
Address: Via Flaminia Vecchia
L’Umbria, Manuali per il Territorio, Spoleto, Roma 1978