The fountain was built between 1746 and 1748 on a project by Roman architect Costantino Fiaschetti. Its scenic façade features simple lesenes below, and a richly carved pediment above that includes a representation of the Barberini family’s memorial, realised in 1626 on a project by Carlo Maderno. During the communal period, a public fountain already existed, that was rebuilt in 1433: it was placed in front of the present fountain and was pulled down in 1746. The place of the present fountain was occupied instead by the Romanesque church of San Donato, largely ruined in the second half of the XVI century. It was replaced by a public clock and later on, in 1626, by a monument dedicated to the Barberinis.
Address: Piazza del Mercato