The fountain is one of the most characteristic ones in the city, and the local people simply call it “il mascherone” (big mask), because of the impressive laurel-crowned human face from whose mouth the water springs out. An inscription informs about a 1736 restoration of the aedicula and the mask, which date both to the XVII century instead. On the right, another small fountain bears the inscription “BIBE VIATOR” (drink, ye traveller), an invitation to quench one’s thirst from the fountain’s very fresh water.
Address: Piazza Campello
L’Umbria, Manuali per il Territorio, Spoleto, Roma 1978