Gian Carlo Menotti Theatre

The theatre was built between 1854 and 1864 on a project by engineer Ireneo Aleandri from the Marches. Roman composer Filippo Sangiorgi wrote the play “Guisemberga da Spoleto”, on a libretto by Charles of Ormeville, for the 3 August 1864 inauguration. The façade features a three-arches portico adorned by medallion-framed stuccoes portraying Rossini, Alfieri, Goldoni and Metastasio (works by A.Bagioli). The niches below are filled by XVIIth-century stone statues, given by Maestro Gian Carlo Menotti (1911-2007), founder of the Festival Of Two Worlds.

The theatre is very rich inside and features four rows of boxes and gallery; the decorations include stuccoes, valuable wood carving that well harmonise with the tempera by the mythological subject of the ceiling, and a great Murano chandelier; the curtain shows Francesco Coghetti’s “Hannibal’s Defeat”, inspired by the historical event of 217 B.C.

The theatre features a concert hall, also designed by Aleandri, and a museum founded by Adriano Belli, who in 1947 founded the Teatro Lirico Sperimentale, that documents Spoleto’s intense theatre activity and also keeps authentic letters by Rossini and Verdi.

Indirizzo: Largo B. Gigli

Pin It